Wednesday, March 8

making the mark

The presence of competition drives one to strive. At least this is observed as a general trend. Without the presence of a threat, an opponent, a benchmark, would someone be motivated to put in his best and more?

I've come to realise that this sense of wanting to strive can be lost. Gradually, unknowingly, subconsciously, one may lose this form of motivation. I once had the drive to compete and win, but looking at myself now, theres probably an unnoticeable amount of it left, maybe even zilch.

Surprisingly, I no longer am able to make myself competitive, or conjure up that same motivation. I don't bother comparing grades, qualifications, let alone personal possesions and what not. The desire to beat someone, be the best, be the benchmark, is no longer present. Is that a good thing? Or bad?

I guess, looking at it in the biblical point of view, WHAT GOD WANTS YOU TO DO, winning is not important. What is, is that we do our best. Easy to say, but when you commit to do your best in your studies, you really HAVE TO do your best. Taking free time out to read up textbooks and preperation papers, if thats what it takes.

Then comes the part where you ask for the definition of 'your best'. Being an ACS boy, I've been induced with the idea of the best being 'yet to be'. Which is actually almost completely true. A world record is no longer a world record when a new one is set, isn't it so. So can the best ever be achieved?

If yes, can i do it?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home